Male’ City Council decides to give ‘Usgandu’ to MDP for three months

Male’ City Council has given the area behind Dharubaaruge to Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) to conduct political activities, after the police dismantled ‘Justice Square’ (the Tsunami Monument area) on Monday.

Deputy Mayor of the Council Ahmed Falah today confirmed to Minivan News that the land has been given to the MDP for three months to conduct political activities.

‘’We gave the land because last Monday terrorists attacked the Justice Square at the end of Lonuziyaarai street,’’ Falah claimed.

Male’ Mayor ‘Maizan’ Ali Manik said he did not wish to say anything about it because several media outlets had been misquoting him recently.

Former President Office Undersecretary Ibrahim Rasheed ‘Hoara Ibbe’ told Minivan News that tonight there will be a MDP rally at the ‘Usgandu’.

‘’MDP will be continue having meetings and conducting other political activities in any land we get and we will do it peacefully,’’ he said.

He said he regretted that police superiors have been sending low-ranking officers to attack MDP properties and persons and later blaming them, saying that their superiors did not know anything about it.

‘’They brought this day through a coup, and they are creating more violence to uphold the coup they brought,’’ he said, referring to the actions of the police.

Rasheed also said he was expecting that the suit against the security forces will be concluded next week.

The Justice Square or the tsunami monument area was also used by the MDP with the authority of the council.

However the current Attorney General Azima Shukoor declared that the land was not under the council and that it was under Housing Ministry.

A while after her statement, hundreds of police and military officers with batons and tear gas guns appeared in the area in full riot gear and ordered everyone in the area to leave immediately.

The area was then completely cleared of all trace of the MDP, from yellow flags to political graffiti on the sea wall.  Police have been monitoring the area and occasionally ordering people visiting to leave.