UK High Commission announces Chevening Scholarship Scheme for 2011/2012

The British High Commission and the British Council in Colombo have announced the launch of the Chevening Scholarship Scheme for 2011/2012 in Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

The scheme is opened to graduates in the early- to mid-stages of their professional oracademic career in the government/private sector or at a non-governmental organisation. The emphasis is on study at the postgraduate level. The High Commission stated that cpplicants could be considering study in any field relevant to one or more of the UK government’s strategic international priorities, which can be accessed at www.fco.gov.uk.

Particular priority, the High Commission said, would be given to applicants who will work to promote good governance or benefit socio-economic or environmental development in Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

Candidates should have some work or academic experience relating to their field of study as well as an offer from a UK higher education institution for the academic year 2011/2012.

The High Commission added that preference would be given to those who have attained, or have demonstrated, the potential to attain, a position of responsibility and influence within their field in Sri Lanka or the Maldives and to those whose study in Britain is likely to enhance their potential for influence in their respective countries.

The Chevening Scholarship Scheme is the UK’s most prestigious scholarship scheme for foreign students. Its aim is to enable current and future leaders, decision makers and opinion
formers to study in the UK and make a positive contribution to their own countries upon their return, the High Commission said.

“Many former Chevening scholars have gone on to be leaders in their fields, and indeed, even leaders of their countries.”

The applications will be open from Sunday, 20 March to Saturday, 30 April, 2011 and will be available only online: www.britishcouncil.lk/chevening

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Murder suspect at large

The Maldives Police Service has appealed for public assistance as it searches for fugitive Ibrahim Shahum, 20, of Galholhu Cozy, the principal suspect in the gang-related murder of 21-year old Ahusan Basheer last week.

Shahum was arrested in August last year in connection with the murder of 17-year old Mohamed Hussein on July 30, 2010, which occured near the Maaziya playground in Male’.  The suspect had later turned himself in after three weeks of police searches.

However, he was released six months later on 17 February by Criminal Court Chief Judge Abdulla Mohamed after police claimed that the Health Ministry had not complied with requests for the medico-legal report from Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGHM), where the victim died while undergoing treatment.

According to Haveeru, Chief Judge Abdulla Mohamed observed that six months was “a bit too much” to respond to a police request, ordering the release of the suspect “to hold [Health Minister] Aminath Jameel responsible.”

A statement issued by police on Thursday notes that upon request the Prosecutor General’s Office appealed the Criminal Court ruling three days later.

“Police are extremely concerned about such incidents. The Maldives Police Service will be taking special measures to curb the rising crime in society,” read the statement that also appealed for the cooperation of the authorities and the public to aid police efforts.

Meanwhile, the authorities continue to shift blame after the Criminal Court last week issued a statement defending the court from public criticism over the release of dangerous suspects.  The Criminal Court stressed that persons brought before it had constitutional rights and should be considered innocent until proven guilty.

The statement claims that court records show a number of defendants brought before the court had previously been sentenced to jail and “none of the relevant authorities of the state could prove that any of these people had been released to society on a Criminal Court order.”

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

“Maldives for Japan” telethon raises Rf7 million in 37 hours

Over Rf7 million (US$544,747) worth of aid has been raised during the 37-hour “Maldives for Japan” telethon that was held over the weekend in an attempt to support the people of Japan following a devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck the Maldives’ largest bilateral donor on 11 March.

A total of Rf5,319,162.69 (US$413,900) along with 119,507 cans of tuna were donated by the people of Maldives.

The fundraising telethon was organised by Male’ City Council and broadcast live in what is thought to be an unprecedented collaborative effort by all of the country’s TV and radio stations.

Musicians and actors teamed up to organise entertainment shows at the tsunami memorial area where more than 30 bands performed over two nights.

A steady stream of Maldivians, often accompanied by children, also queued at the MNBC studio and other locations hosting  fund boxes where they could make their contributions.

The single largest donor was trading company CTG, which provided Rf1 million (US$77,800).  Chairman of the Villa Group, Gasim Ibrahim, donated tuna cans worth Rf1.3 million (US$101,100).

In his weekly radio address on Friday, President Mohamed Nasheed urged all Maldivians to contribute to the telethon and show solidarity with Japan while Vice President Dr Mohamed Waheed led a walk with thousands of participants across the capital later that day.

A moment of silence was observed at 10:45am on Friday (18 March) to mark the moment the earthquake struck.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

MNDF commences Vilufushi crocodile hunt

Officers from the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) are conducting searches for crocodiles near Thaa Atoll Vilufushi after islanders reported sightings of two of the creatures on Thursday.

Officers from the MNDF Central Area on Friday searched the Vilifushi lagoon and nearby uninhabited islands, but there has been no sign of the presence of the amphibians so far.

According to the MNDF website, officers from the Laamu Kahdhoo post will remain on duty in Vilufushi during the operation that is set to continue for a week.

A six-foot crocodile found in Lhaviyani Naifaru on February 1 was the believed to be the second crocodile found in as many months within Maldivian waters.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Gasim Ibrahim undecided on whether to contest presidency in 2013

Maamigili MP Gasim Ibrahim, leader of the Jumhooree Party, has said he does not intend to back or become running mate of any candidate in the 2013 presidential elections, though he has not ruled out standing for the country’s top political position himself.

Speaking to Haveeru, the former Finance Minister explained that he had opted not to back any candidate for the presidency in 2013 after taking criticism for supporting President Mohamed Nasheed’s ultimately successful campaign in 2008.

“The people are blaming me [for Nasheed’s election]; that this and that happened because of what I did. A large number of people are putting the blame on me,” he told the paper.  “How can I be sure of what would happen to me when I try to bring another person to power? I can only do something for my own self.”

After reportedly supporting Nasheed’s candidacy on the back of the “good things” the president said during campaigning, Gasim said that he had resigned as Home Minister after just 21 days into the new administration.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

President underscores progresss on housing pledge

The government has made considerable progress towards fulfilling its pledge to build 10,000 housing units to provide affordable housing for the people, President Nasheed said Friday in his weekly radio address.

The President revealed that the construction of 1,780 housing units was currently underway while work on 25 units each in Gaaf Dhaal Thinadhoo, Seenu Feydhoo, Gaaf Alif Kolamaafushi, Haa  Dhaal Kulhudufushi and Lhaviyani Naifaru was now 40 percent complete.

While over 20,000 residents of Male’ in recent weeks have applied for housing units to be built in the congested capital, Nasheed announced that construction of 350 housing units in Male’ by Kargwal 18 SG Developers of India was expected to begin in April.

Moreover, said Nasheed, the construction of 180 units in Hulhumale’ by Coral Ville was 35 percent complete.

Meanwhile on Thursday, the government signed an agreement with the Chinese National Machinery and Equipment Import and Export Corporation (CMEC) for the construction of 1,500 housing units in the southern atolls.

Of the targeted 10,000 units, the Chinese company has been assigned 4,000 units across the country.

At Thursday’s signing ceremony, Housing Minister Mohamed Aslam explained that the government hoped to secure loan facilities of US$150 million from the AXIM Bank of China, adding that he expected construction work to begin in the next four months.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Maldives holds events to raise funds for Japanese earthquake victims

The Maldives has held a series of events intended to raise money for victims of the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan last weekend.

The first event held over the weekend was the launch of a 24-hour fundraising telethon, while a series of charity events were held on Friday evening including a children’s march, entertainment and food tents near the tsunami monument, with 50 percent of the profits raised going to the Japanese cause.

Both Dhiraagu and Wataniya have launched an SMS donation service as well.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Civil Court stops conducting hearings of cases related to the state

The Civil Court’s Judge Mohamed Naeem has declared that he will not conduct any cases related to the state unless parliament gives consent to the reappointment of Attorney General Dr Ahmed Ali Sawad, reports SunFM.

MPs of the parliament have not yet given the consent of the parliament and Supreme Court has recently declared that cabinet ministers cannot remain in their posts if they do not have the consent of the parliament.

SunFM reported Judge Naeem as saying that the Civil Court Judges were split on the matter.

”The section I handle will not conduct trials on cases related to the state,” SunFM quoted Judge Naeem saying.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Man sentenced four years for sexually abusing stepdaughter

The Manadhoo court has sentenced a man to four years imprisonment after he was found guilty of sexually abusing his stepdaughter, reported Manadhoo Live.

The paper identified the offender as Ibrahim Mohamed, of Kinbigasdhoshuge, Noonu Manadhoo.

He is now under charge of Manadhoo Council to be handed over to the Department of Penitentiary and Rehabilitation Services (DPRS).

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)