President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom has sent the names of five cabinet appointees to parliament for approval.
President’s Office Spokesperson Ibrahim Muaz told local media that the president had sent the names of the first five appointees to the cabinet.
The five Ministers are Minister of Defense and National Security Retired Colonel Mohamed Nazim, Minister of Finance and Treasury Abdulla Jihad, Minister of Tourism Arts and Culture Ahmed Adheeb, Minister of Transport and Communication Ameen Ibrahim and Minister of Foreign Affairs Dunya Maumoon.
“The government will send the names of other members of the cabinet very soon,” Muaz said.
After assuming power, President Yameen appointed a cabinet consisting of fifteen cabinet ministers.
All Ministers are constitutionally required to be approved by parliament in order to permanently remain in their positions as per the article 129(c) of the Constitution.
Furthermore, a Supreme Court ruling in December 2010 – made in response to requests from then-opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party’s (DRP) MPs – overturned then President Mohamed Nasheed’s argument that the provision was “ceremonial”, forcing him to replace seven of his cabinet ministers.
According the President’s Office Spokesperson Muaz, the president is expected to hold his first cabinet meeting this week.
President Yameen’s cabinet:
- Minister of Defense and National Security, Retired Colonel Mohamed Nazim
- Minister of Finance and Treasury, Abdulla Jihad
- Minister of Tourism, Ahmed Adheeb (PPM)
- Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dunya Maumoon (PPM)
- Minister of Transport and Communication, Ameen Ibrahim (Jumhoree Party)
- Minister of Home Affairs, Umar Naseer
- Minister of Islamic Affairs, Sheikh Dr Mohamed Shaheem Ali Saeed (Adhaalath Party)
- Minister of Housing and Infrastructure, Dr Mohamed Muiz (Adhaalath Party)
- Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture, Dr Mohamed Shainy
- Minister of Economic Development, Mohamed Saeed (Jumhoree Party)
- Minister of Environment and Energy, Thoriq Ibrahim
- Minister of Education, Dr Aishath Shiham (PPM)
- Minister of Health and Gender, Dr Mariyam Shakeela
- Minister of Youth and Sports, Mohamed Maleeh Jamaal (PPM)
- Attorney General Mohamed Anil