Unknown assailants stabbed a person in the Mahchangolhi ward of Male’ last night, three days after the Deputy Head of the police’s Serious and Organized Crime Department (SOC) Inspector Abdulla Nawaz told the press that the most dangerous criminals in Male’ had been detained.
Police Sub-Inspector Ahmed Shiyam said the victim was attacked in Nikagasmagu of Mahchangolhi ward.
”His condition was not too serious,” Shiyam said. ”It is too early to say whether it was a gang fight.”
He said two men were arrested in connection to the case.
Only last week, a 25 year-old man identified as Ahmed Mirza died after he was attacked with iron bars and other weapons while he was sitting in the children’s park in Villingili.
Mirza was attacked after he reportedly made some comments about a girl.
Last Thursday, Inspector Nawaz informed the press that nine persons police believed to be dangerous criminals were now held in detention.
The nine persons Nawaz identified were: Ibrahim Shahum, Rilwan Faruhath, Ahmed Shiruhan, Abdulla Naseer, Ahmed Shareef, Mohamed Visham, Ibrahim Abdulla, Gassan Ali and his brother Hassan Ali.
Meanwhile, the parliament has commenced work to amend the Clemency Act to execute persons sentenced to death, while the Criminal Justice Procedure Bill was also presented to the parliament at the same time and is now currently at the committee stage.
In an effort to curb the rise in gang violence, President Mohamed Nasheed has formed a Crime Prevention Committee led by former Defense Minister Ameen Faisal.
So far the committee has held meetings with the Supreme Court and almost all concerned authorities, although it has yet to announce any progress.