The body of a Finnish tourist killed this week in a speedboat collision near to Male’ will be repatriated “as soon as possible”, the Honorary Consul of Finland in the Maldives has said.
An as yet unidentified male from Finland, who was said to be holidaying in the country with his wife, was killed after an express speedboat service to the island of Hulhumale’ collided with another vessel belonging to the Bandos Island Resort and Spa on Sunday (December 2).
Nine local people were also injured in the collision. One of the injured – a 29 year-old woman – suffered a severe head injury that was since said to have improved, according to authorities.
A spokesperson for the honorary consul confirmed to Minivan News that its representatives had met with the wife of the deceased and were presently trying to assist the resort in which the couple had been staying with arrangements to return the body home.
The spokesperson said that the consulate was unable to provide any information on the exact cause of death, adding that it was waiting on the details from an ongoing police investigation.
Local media, citing police sources, reported yesterday that the Finnish national had been thrown overboard following the collision and was said to have been found dead when retrieved from the water.
Police Spokesperson Sub-Inspector Hassan Ahneef was unable to clarify the reports, claiming that investigations were continuing into the matter.
Following the collision on Sunday, a spokesperson for the Maldives Transport and Contracting Company (MTCC) said it had temporarily suspended its express speedboat service between Hulhumale’ and Male’ while it reviewed guest safety procedures.
“We believe we need to do some work on safety,” a company spokesperson told Minivan News. “We will be working with transport authorities, the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) and the police on the matter and will resume the services after that.” Dhoni services will continue to run between Male’ and Hulhumale’ as normal, the MTCC added yesterday.
When contacted today, the MTCC said it would be issuing a statement on the matter once the details of its own internal investigation and the findings of the police has been completed.
Meanwhile, Bandos Island Resort and Spa, which operated the other speedboat involved in the collision, said it was “not in a situation to discuss the incident” until police have completed their investigations.