Police have appealed for public assistance in locating a person identified as Sharufan Abdul Razzaq Ahmed, 19 of Lonumidhilige [house] in Maafannu Ward.
On May 27 police issued a statement informing the public they were seeking to question Razzaq regarding a recent stabbing, but had been unable to locate or determine his whereabouts.
Police alleged that on May 18 at 3:25 pm Razzaq together with some other persons stabbed two people near the junction where Chanbeyly Magu meets Haveeree Hingun.
Police said Razzaq was needed for the police investigation into the case, and stated that any person who disclosed information about his whereabouts would receive protection as required by law.
Local media has reported that the 18 and 21 year-old victims were hospitalised following the attack.
The 18 year-old received injuries to his chest, back and other parts of the body while he 21 year-old suffered injuries to his back.
The media reports say that Razzaq has a previous criminal record, after he allegedly entered Nalahiya Manzil House in Henveiru Ward in 2010 January with a companion and stabbed a person inside the house.
That case is now in Prosecutor General’s Office waiting to be forwarded to the court for trial.
Progess of special task force
Police have also said that the police special task force established to curb gang related crimes occurring in Male’ had arrested seven people.
Police said four were persons police were looking for in connection with a recent stabbing incident.
In a statement issued to update information about the special operation, police said they had searched areas related to gang activities 960 times, and stopped and searched 290 persons.
Police also established vehicle check points in different areas of Male’ and searched 651 vehicles. 29 licenses were held for traffic violations.
Police said they would continue to stop and search people out late at night, or on the streets in the early hours of the morning.
Police recently arrested 11 persons for alleged involvement in a stabbing attack at the ‘Home X’ store in the capital on May 19, that hospitalised one male victim.
Police Commissioner Abdulla Riyaz told local media that members of the taskforce were now searching for 50 “high-profile” suspects alleged to have had involvement with gang-related activities.
“They are a threat to the society. We consider everyone who has not been punished for a crime they have committed as a criminal at large,” he was quoted by local newspaper Haveeru as saying.