An Indian man who suffered burns to 90 percent of his body in the incident is reportedly in a stable condition and is being cared for by his family.
Sub-Inspector Ahmed Shiyam said the Indian man’s family had requested that his identity be withheld from the media.
Minivan News understands that the man was attempting to tend the barbecue using a 20 litre can containing flammable liquid, which caught fire and burst.
Police said both Arif and her sister were burned trying to extinguish the man who was on fire. Arif’s sister suffered burns to her hands, police said.
A friend of Arifs informed Minivan News at time of press that she was conscious and speaking, and her wounds were showing signs of healing.
“She was really strong. She kept under control and did not panic,” the friend said.