Presidential run-off candidates will be given the opportunity to sign the voters register on November 14 and 15, the Elections Commission (EC) has told local media.
The court mandated procedure, requiring all candidates sign the amended voter lists before the vote can proceed has caused problems in the run-up to both polls scheduled over the last month.
Police moved to block the October 19 vote after both the Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) and the Jumhooree Party refused to sign the lists. Last Saturday’s successful poll also came under threat when both parties again refused to sign the lists shortly before reversing their decision under intense international pressure.
The PPM’s candidate Abdulla Yameen also suggested he would not sign the voter lists for the run-off – originally scheduled for last Sunday (November 10) – before the Supreme Court stepped in to delay the vote.
The EC has been accepting and assessing complaints regarding re-registration today, after the window to lodge grievances closed at midday. The re-registration process was completed yesterday.
Local media has also reported that the candidates have both expressed a preference for maintaining the same numbers on Saturday’s ballot. The Maldivian Democratic Party’s Mohamed Nasheed will again be listed as candidate number 4, whilst Yameen will be candidate number 3.
EC Chair Fuwad Thowfeek told Sun Online that transportation of the ballots to the atolls would begin on Thursday.