Broadcasting Commission to investigate Criminal Court barring Rajje TV from court proceedings

The Maldives Broadcasting Commission (MBC) is to investigate the Criminal’s Court’s decision to bar Raajje TV journalists from court proceedings.

The opposition aligned broadcaster was barred from the Criminal Court after a Rajje TV journalist and cameraman videotaped an alleged meeting between Judge Abdul Bari Yoosuf and Prosecutor General Muhthaz Muhsin at Café Layaali in Malé on Sunday night.

“Raaje TV has been barred from attending hearings because they are spreading lies about judges, meddling in judges personal affairs and engaging in actions that may harm judges,” a Criminal Court official told media yesterday.

MBC has also decided to investigate whether Rajje TV journalists had breached codes of ethics by videotaping Muhsin and Bari at the café.

Muhsin has denied the meeting took place, claiming he had been at the café for a separate meal with his family. The PG has said he would resign if the meeting could be proved.

Raajje TV crew said they were forced to delete the footage after a ruling party MP and gang members arrived at the café and threatened them.

Likes(5)Dislikes(1)

PG travels to Russia for extradition deal

The Prosecutor General (PG) Muhthaz Muhsin has left for Russia today where he will sign multiple agreements, officials from the PG’s Office have revealed.

“One would be regarding extradition and the other on mutual legal assistance between the two countries,” said a spokesman.

It is not clear whether the two countries would sign an agreement or an MOU, he added.

Muhthaz got the invitation to visit Russia last November when the Russian PG Yuri Chaika visited the Maldives.

President Abdulla Yameen had pledged to introduce a bilateral extradition treaty after the controversial detention of Russian national Roman Seleznyov in July last year.

The alleged hacker was detained by Maldivian authorities before being transported to the US military base in Guam, with Russian authorities calling it a “kidnapping” by the US Secret Service.

Despite a decline of 13 percent in the number of Russian arrivals last year – partly caused by the fall in the rouble – over 65,000 Russian tourists visited the Maldives in 2014, placing it fourth in terms of market share.

PG Muhthaz left with Deputy PG Mahmood Saleem and legal affairs director Mohamed Iyas. The delegation will return to the Maldives on March 15.

The PG’s trip comes during the state’s controversial prosecution of former President Mohamed Nasheed and former defence minister Mohamed Nazim.

Likes(4)Dislikes(0)

STO head Azim dismissed from post

The government has sacked State Trading Organisation (STO) Managing Director Adam Azim, brother of former defence minister Mohamed Nazim.

President’s Office Spokesperson Ibrahim Muaz tweeted yesterday that the government has appointed Ahmed Shaheer, formerly head of the procurement department, to the post of managing director.

Speaking at the organisation’s 50th anniversary celebration in January – just days after Nazim’s dismissal, but prior to his arrest – President Abdulla Yameen had said that managing directors of state owned companies should not expect their jobs to be permanent if they do not perform well.

Former defence minister Nazim is accused of plotting to harm senior government officials. He is also facing illegal weapons charges after police allegedly discovered a hand gun, ammunition, an improvised explosive device, and a pen drive containing incriminating documents at his home.

Nazim has repeatedly denied the claims, accusing tourism minister Ahmed Adeeb of framing him. Nazim’s defense team has raised questions over the transparency of the trial and accused Prosecutor General (PG) Muhthaz Muhsin of politicising the case.

Nazim’s wife Afaaf Abdul Majeed was also charged along with Nazim before the state withdrew charges on the first hearing. saying that they had found new evidence on the pen drive that proved Afaaf was not involved.

Likes(3)Dislikes(0)

Hulhumalé houses will be affordable for youth, says President

The housing units built under the housing scheme in Hulhumalé will be affordable to all youths, says President Abdulla Yameen.

After observing the pre-construction work on the housing units in the suburb adjacent to Malé, the president said the housing scheme would provide reasonable and affordable living conditions.

“If all goes according to the plan the phase two of Hulhumalé will be completed with a beautiful scenario with some parts adjoining to the sea,” Haveeru reported Yameen as saying.

The president repeated his invitation for islanders from small communities to move to Hulhumalé once phase two is completed.

“My invitation is open to all islands,” he said.

The president also spoke of the bridge that would connect Malé City and Hulhumalé, one of the main pledges in the 2013 elections.

“The development of Hulhumalé phase two and the bridge will go side by side.”

Earlier this week, economic minister Mohamed Saeed said the design and feasibility report of the bridge would be completed by June this year. The funding for the construction would come from Chinese aid and a China Exim bank loan, the minister explained.

The government estimates that more than 230,000 people will be able to live in Hulhumalé once the development is completed, which will also provide office and business spaces.

Likes(2)Dislikes(0)

Nasheed trial unjust, says Adhaalath President Imran

The terrorism trial of former President Mohamed Nasheed is unjust, the religious conservative Adhaalath Party (AP) President Sheikh Imran Abdulla has said.

Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) leader Nasheed is being tried in the Criminal Court for allegedly ordering the arrest of the court’s Chief Judge Abdulla Mohamed in 2012 while in office. If found guilty of the charge, Nasheed faces a jail term between 10 and 15 years.

At last night’s hearing the Criminal Court judges Abdulla Didi, Abdul Bari Yoosuf, and Sujau Usman rejected Nasheed’s witnesses, saying that they would not counter the state’s claims.

“Nasheed is not being tried fairly. Treating Nasheed fairly and justly is what we believe in,” Adhaalath president Imran told VTV.

On Sunday, the party withdrew its support for President Abdulla Yameen citing “increased violence and corruption” within the government. Although Adhaalath is yet to join the opposition Jumhooree Party (JP) and MDP coalition, they have said the party would be willing to sit down for discussions.

“The tension between [political rivals] should not result in the disregarding his [Nasheed’s] rights.”

Nasheed’s legal team refused to continue with his defence yesterday, claiming the court had not given them adequate time to prepare. The Criminal Court bench presiding over Nasheed’s trial dismissed his request to hire new lawyers stating they had already been given enough time.

At every opportunity Nasheed repeated his request for legal counsel of his choosing, and reiterated his belief that the trial was unjust and unlawful.

Judge Didi was with Judge Abdulla in his home when the military had arrested him. Judge Abdulla had called Judge Bari to inform him of the arrest shortly before he was arrested.

Previously Nasheed’s lawyers had requested that judges Bari and Abdulla Didi step down from the bench. But the Criminal Court bench had ruled they had no conflict of interest which would require them to retire from the case.

Along with Nasheed, former Chief of Defence force and current Defence Minister Moosa Ali Jaleel, ex-Malé area commander for the military MP Ibrahim Didi, ex-colonel Mohamed Ziyad and Nasheed’s Defence Minister Thalhath Kaleyfaanu also face terrorism charges regarding the detention of Judge Abdulla.

Likes(3)Dislikes(0)

Adhaalath Party withdraws support for President Yameen

The religious conservative Adhaalath Party has withdrawn support for President Abdulla Yameen’s administration, citing a rise in violence and corruption.

“In the few days that have passed since President Yameen assumed office, corruption and violence has increased, and justice has been abandoned,” the party’s consultative council said in a statement.

“The government is misusing the public’s support and has narrowed basic rights guaranteed by the constitution. It has also undermined the independence of independent institutions and is now attempting to consolidate power by taking over the three branches of the state.”

The AP said it’s attempts to reform the system from within had been in vain.

“We don’t see how we could work with the government anymore,” the statement read.

The Jumhooree Coalition, of which AP was a member, backed President Yameen at the eleventh hour during the 2013 presidential polls. The party received the Islamic Affairs portfolio in return.

In an interview with newspaper Haveeru today, AP President Sheikh Imran Abdulla said that the party would not join the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) and Jumhooree Party (JP) coalition, and preferred to work “independently.”

Sheikh Imran has been critical of President Yameen since former Defence Minister Mohamed Nazim’s arrest over charges of terrorism and treason. He has now been charged with importing and possessing illegal weapons.

Likes(3)Dislikes(0)

President Yameen presents ‘Rehendi Awards’

President Abdulla Yameen presented this year’s ‘Rehendi Awards’ to three women in recognition of outstanding service to national development and society.

At a function held yesterday to mark International Women’s Day, President Yameen conferred awards to Fathimath Nahula, for her achievements as a writer and film director, Shameera Adam, for outstanding work in agriculture, and Naseema Mohamed, for years of voluntary service as a mid-wife.

The Rehendi awards were launched last year with chef Juweirya Wajdhee and pastry chef Aminath Nasheedha the first recipients.

According to local media, 27 women were nominated for this year’s awards whilst the winners were chosen by the gender ministry based on an evaluation criteria that considered individual contributions to the nation.

First Lady Fathmath Ibrahim meanwhile presented commemorative brooches to the winners.

Likes(4)Dislikes(0)

Government to submit gender equality bill to parliament

The government will submit legislation on gender equality during the ongoing first session of the People’s Majlis for 2015, Attorney General (AG) Mohamed Anil has said.

Speaking at a function held at the Islamic Centre yesterday to mark International Women’s Day, AG Anil – who also heads the Ministry of Law and Gender – said the bill would protect women’s rights, empower women socially and economically, and ensure equal rights.

Anil said the government has undertaken significant efforts to promote women’s rights and “eliminate obstacles” faced by Maldivian women.

“Of the total 926 members of the Ministry of Economic Development’s Sabah project, I note happily that 91 percent are female members,” he said.

He added that 60 percent of the Ministry of Fisheries and Agriculture’s commercial loan scheme would be earmarked for women and youth.

The government has also formulated and enacted rules for operating daycare centres to assist working mothers, Anil said, adding that an amendment would be submitted to tax laws to exempt the centres from GST.

Efforts were currently underway to establish safe houses in each atoll for victims of domestic violence, he added.

Safe houses or temporary shelter have so far been set up at the Family and Children Service Centres  in Haa Dhaal Kulhudhufushi, Shaviyani Fonadhoo, Thaa Veymandoo, and Gaaf Dhaal Thinadhoo, Anil noted.

Anil said there was no discrimination between boys and girls in the education sector, noting that 70 percent of graduates from the National University in March 2014 were female.

In its concluding observations released last Friday (March 6) on the combined fourth and fifth periodic reports of the Maldives, the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women welcomed legislative reforms such as the Sexual Harassment and Abuse Prevention Act of 2014, the Sexual Offences Act of 2014, the Prevention of Human Trafficking Act of 2013, and the Domestic Violence Prevention Act of 2012.

The Maldives acceded to the UN Convention on Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) in July 1993

The committee also noted the establishment of the Family Protection Authority in 2012 and welcomed “forthcoming amendments to the Family Act to regulate the distribution of matrimonial assets upon divorce.”

In his presidential address at the opening of parliament earlier this month, President Yameen said the legislation would protect women’s rights in divorce cases as pledged during the presidential campaign.

The CEDAW committee meanwhile noted “that the principle of equality between women and men is not yet explicitly enshrined in legislation” and called on the state to ensure that the gender equality bill includes a definition of discrimination on the basis of sex.

The committee also expressed concern about “the delay in conducting a gender impact analysis of some of its existing laws, including family law provisions which continue to indirectly discriminate against women, and in adopting regulations necessary for the full implementation of the Domestic Violence Prevention Act and the Prevention of Human Trafficking Act.”

Insufficient progress

Meanwhile, in a press release yesterday, the Human Rights Commission of Maldives (HRCM) said the Maldives has not achieved or made adequate progress under the Millennium Development Goal of ensuring equal rights for women.

Referring to its shadow report to the CEDAW committee last year, the commission said it had noted the underrepresentation of women in decision-making as well as the minor role of women in economic development.

The report noted that some police officers believe violence against women was caused by women failing to fulfil their duty as submissive wives.

The HRCM also contended that women were not receiving full protection under the new domestic violence, sexual offences, and sexual harassment laws, noting that regulations required under the domestic violence law have yet to be enacted two years after it was passed.

“Despite domestic violence cases being reported, we note that that relevant state institutions are not taking action in accordance with the obligatory rules for such cases,” the HRCM press release stated.

The commission also stressed the importance of expediting the passage of the gender equality bill and appealed to the executive to allocate sufficient funds and resources for institutions responsible for protecting women’s rights.

“Awareness also needs to be raised among girls regarding their physical and reproductive health,” the press release continued.

“To achieve this, we appeal for both further widening the role of state institutions and civil society organisations and instilling the spirt of working together.”

The slogan for this year’s International Women’s Day is ‘Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity: Picture it!’


Related to this story

CEDAW committee welcomes progress on women’s rights, expresses concern with child marriages, flogging and gender stereotypes

Some police officers believe women to blame for domestic violence, says HRCM

Likes(3)Dislikes(0)

Maldives wins third best exhibitor award at ITB Berlin

The Maldives has been awarded the third best exhibitor in the Asia, Australia and Oceania category at the ITB Berlin Exhibition 2015, the world’s leading travel and tours show.

The Maldives Marketing and Public Relations Company (MMPRC) explained a statement that the awards were handed out after bachelors and masters students at the Cologne Business School (CBS) evaluated all 11,000 booths during the first three days of the exhibition.

“These stands were assessed according to numerous criteria such as creativity, originality, service quality, sustainability and special effects,” MMPRC explained.

South Korea came in first place and India was placed second.

After accepting the award at a ceremony organised by CBS on Saturday night, MMPRC Managing Director Abdulla Ziyath thanked industry partners for their collaboration in making ITB 2015 a success.

Last week, the Maldives was named the official country partner for the 2016 ITB Berlin Convention. Egypt was this year’s country partner.

“Starting from 10th March 2015 till the beginning of ITB 2016, Maldives together with ITB will be promoting the event on different media platforms,” the MMPRC said.

The MMPRC also launched its ‘Visit Maldives 2016’ campaign at the trade show, which took place from March 4 to 8 in Berlin, Germany.

“There have recently been some negative reports about protests in Malé,” said Mohamed Khaleel, Chairman of the MMPRC.

“We are a growing nation, and everyone here knows how important tourism is for us. The problems must be resolved, and we shall do all we can to maintain security and to ensure that this sector, the backbone of our economy, is not put at risk in any way.”

Likes(3)Dislikes(0)