One MP and four parliament employees have been taken to hospital after suffering from food poisoning.
Member of Parliament for Hithadhoo-Medhu constituency Mohamed Rasheed had to be removed from the chamber on Wednesday (November 14) after feeling faint.
A female Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) security officer at the parliament was also taken to hospital.
Speaker of Parliament Abdullah Shahid said that the issue will be thoroughly investigated in cooperation with Maldives Food and Drug Authority, police and MNDF.
“The parliament takes issues related to MP’s security and safety very seriously,” he told Sun Online.
Following the food poisoning incident the parliament general committee held an emergency meeting upon the Speaker’s request.