President Abdulla Yameen presented national awards of honour and recognition today at a function held at the Dharubaaruge convention centre to mark this year’s Republic Day (November 11).
“Recipients of the national award of honour received a shield of honour, a badge of honour and a commemorative plaque, while the recipients of the national award of recognition received a commemorative plaque and a certificate,” the President’s Office noted in a statement about the annual tradition.
The recipients of the national award of honour were Mohamed Zakariyya for his contribution to the development of Dhivehi literature and ‘Hiyalee’ Mohamed Rasheed for his contributions in the field of sports.
The 14 recipients of the national award of recognition were:
- Sergeant First Class Al-Ghari Mohamed Aslam in the area of recitation and teaching of Quran
- Al-Ghari Al-Hafiz Abdul Rasheed Mohamed in the area of recitation and teaching of Quran
- Anwar Ibrahim in the area of Dhivehi linguistics (oratory skills)
- Mohamed Areef in the area of Dhivehi customs and culture (cultural games)
- Adam Rasheed in the area of fisheries (promotion of pole and line fishing)
- Ishaq Solih in the area of tourism (culinary arts)
- Hussain Rasheed in the area of agriculture (development of commercial agriculture and agricultural research)
- Ahmed Hishan in the area of social services (humanitarian service)
- Mohamed Fayaz Ali Riza in the area of sports (fitness therapy)
- Nahidha Ali in the area of sports (fitness)
- Afzal Shafiu in the area of visual arts (calligraphy, illustration and design)
- Captain Ahmed Athif in the area of performing arts (singing, music, and composition).
National awards of recognition were also presented to outstanding individuals among youth and women.
They were Hassan Ziyau (in the area of information and news dissemination) and Moomina Adam (in the area of sports).