Prosecutor General Ahmed Muizz has said there will be no decision on prosecuting former President Mohamed Nasheed until police review “aspects” of criminal charges forwarded against the one-time head of state.
Muiz told Minivan News today that after reviewing charges sent to his office on April 15, he had requested police “look into aspects” of the case they forwarded over certain concerns that had been “noted” at the time. Muiz was unable to specify the nature of the concerns sent to police regarding the charges facing Nasheed.
The former president potentially faces prosecution over charges relating to both the alleged discovery by police of alcohol at his former residence following his “resignation” from office and the controversial detention of Criminal Court Chief Judge Abdulla Mohamed during his administration.
Muiz himself added that despite expecting the PG’s Office to make a decision on whether to prosecute Nasheed by the end of last month, he was now waiting on the outcome of a police review. He added that the findings of an investigation by the Human Rights Commission of the Maldives (HRCM) would also be required before making a decision on prosecution.
The HRCM, which in March summoned Nasheed for questioning over his role in detaining Judge Abdulla, said it was presently finalising its own investigation into the incident.
HRCM spokesperson Jeehan Mahmoud told Minivan News today that its investigation into the judge’s detention had now been closed, though the findings were yet to be overlooked at a sitting of five senior commissioners representing the body.
“Once we have finalised the report, we will then look to send it to relevant authorities,” Jeehan said.
HRCM said in March that, along with its investigation into the detention of Judge Abdulla, Nasheed would also be directly involved and questioned in two additional cases. These cases were said to relate to alleged human rights abuses carried against Nasheed himself before and during February’s controversial transfer of power that saw him resign – a decision he later claimed was taken under “duress”.
Speaking last month after police forwarded the charges against Nasheed to the PG’s Office, Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) MP Imthiyaz Fahmy claimed that the move was “pure injustice”, representing the “broken” state of the national criminal justice system.
Fahmy contended it was ironic that Nasheed, who had worked to foster a reputation for championing human rights in the country, could now potentially face prosecution by a judiciary that he himself alleged to be guilty of several of counts of corruption.
“This is injustice. Justice is not ensured simply by a judge’s verdict on an issue, it has to be publicly accepted that it is justice,” he argued.
Earlier this week, Attorney General (AG) Azima Shakoor denied the government had come under pressure from the Commonwealth to drop all criminal charges against Nasheed.
The AG added that the government were making no further comments until discussions being held with Commonwealth Special Envoy Sir Donald McKinnon were concluded.
Muiz said that he had not received any communications from the Commonwealth regarding the charges against Nasheed.