Power failure disrupts court proceedings

Multiple Court proceedings were disrupted this morning by a power failure at the justice building in which a number of courts are based .

Speaking to local news outlet CNM, a media official from the Criminal Court said that the power failure happened between 10am and 11:30am this morning.

“Some of the cases were cancelled today because it was impossible to continue the court proceedings during the power failure,” said the official.

Twenty different hearings were scheduled at the Criminal Court alone during the period of the power failure, including a hearing on the murder of Abdul Muheeth (Bobby), a 21-year-old who was stabbed to death near the finance ministry in 2012 in a case of mistaken identity.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Recognition award for advocates of disability rights given to 15 recipients

Awards in recognition of individuals and organisations advocating for the rights of disabled people have been given to 15 recipients today.

The awards, which were handed out at a ceremony held at the Islamic Centre of the Maldives, were given to the 11 individuals and 4 organisations by President Abdulla Yameen and First Lady Fathimath Ibrahim.

The Ministry of Law and Gender said that the recipients of the  award were given marks by a judging panel who gave points for the nominees depending on work done to fight for the rights of disabled people and the effectiveness of the work.

The award which is handed out every two years was initiated in 2012 with 12 recipients.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Maldivian Democratic Party office vandalised

The opposition Maldivian Democratic Party’s (MDP) main office on Sosun Magu in the capital Malé was vandalised last night.

A group of people on motorbikes reportedly threw large stones at the office around midnight, smashing the outer windows.

Equipment at the reception area was also damaged. On Monday, the main opposition party asked police to investigate death threats made against its MPs and senior members, who the party said were also being followed.

MDP MP Imthiyaz Fahmy told Minivan News earlier this week that death threats have become too commonplace to publicise each incident.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Government targets generating 30 percent of electricity from renewable sources

The government has announced a five-year target to generate 30 percent of electricity used during daylight hours in the 196 inhabited islands of the Maldives from renewable energy sources.

Briefing the press today on the UN Climate Summit 2014 held yesterday, Environment Minister Thoriq Ibrahim that efforts were already underway to install solar panels in some islands such as Thinadhoo in Gaaf Dhaal atoll.

“Electricity will be provided from solar panels in Dhaal Kudahuvadhoo, Raa Ungoofaru and Kaafu Dhiffushi very soon. Work is underway in an additional five islands,” the minister was quoted as saying by newspaper Haveeru.

The government was in the process of formulating a low carbon energy policy, he said.

Referring to the impact of climate change on the Maldives, Thoriq noted that 116 islands were facing beach erosion, with severe erosion in 64 islands.

Coastal protection projects have been undertaken in several islands, he added.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Bangladeshi murder suspect freed after five years in pre-trial detention

A Bangladeshi man charged with murder was acquitted and freed by the Criminal Court today after being held for five years in pre-trial detention.

Mohamed Yaseen was found not guilty of murdering another Bangladeshi man, Amir Hossain, on May 31, 2009.

The Criminal Court ruled that the prosecution was unable to submit enough evidence to prove that Yaseen committed the murder.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

UPR report shared with judiciary before submission, says HRCM at Supreme Court trial

The Human Rights Commission of Maldives (HRCM) shared its Universal Period Review (UPR) report with the Department of Judicial Administration (DJA) and sought feedback ahead of submission to the UN Human Rights Council, the commission’s lawyer told the Supreme Court today.

The DJA – which functions under the direct supervision of the Supreme Court – did not respond to the request for commentary on the report or object to its content, the lawyer noted at the first hearing of the trial.

All five HRCM members are on trial after the apex court initiated suo moto proceedings in relation to the UPR report, which suggested that the Supreme Court’s control over the judiciary was undermining powers of lower courts.

At the beginning of the hearing, Chief Justice Ahmed Faiz Hussain reportedly said that the HRCM’s report contained false and misleading information concerning procedural matters of the judiciary.

The suo moto proceedings – which allows the court to act as both prosecution and judge – were initiated to hold the commission’s members accountable under Article 141 of the Constitution, Article 9 of the Judicature Act, and Supreme Court regulations, the chief justice said.

Article 141(b) states, “The Supreme Court shall be the highest authority for the administration of justice in the Maldives.”

Article 141(c) states, “No officials performing public functions, or any other persons, shall interfere with and influence the functions of the courts,” while section (d) states, “Persons or bodies performing public functions, through legislative and other measures, must assist and protect the courts to ensure the independence, eminence, dignity, impartiality, accessibility and effectiveness of the courts.”

The commission’s attorney Maumoon Hameed explained that each UN member state was required to submit a report for the UPR.

The UPR is a state-driven process that reviews the human rights records of all 193 UN member states every four years, based on submissions by the government, the UN, NGOs and human rights commissions. The Maldives’ review is scheduled to take place in April or May 2015.

In a press release today, the HRCM said it submitted as evidence information regarding the UPR process as well as commentary received from various state institutions.

“At today’s hearing, the commission requested an opportunity to submit further information and evidence,” the press release stated.

“The Supreme Court adjourned today’s hearing. The commission has not yet been informed of a date for the next hearing.”

The next hearing has since been scheduled for 1:30pm on Sunday, September 28.

Noting that Supreme Court decisions could not be challenged as it was the highest court of appeal, Hameed had, however, asked for five working days to prepare a defence.

Control of judiciary

Less than two weeks before the parliamentary polls in March, the Supreme Court had charged Elections Commission Chair Fuwad Thowfeek and Deputy Chair Ahmed Fayaz with contempt of court and dismissed the pair under unprecedented suo moto proceedings.

Subsequent changes to contempt of court regulations made in June authorised courts to penalise individuals for any expression, action, gesture, or piece of writing “inside or outside a courtroom” that could be considered contempt of court.

Meanwhile, in a press statement yesterday, the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party noted that under Article 27 of the HRCM Act a case could only be filed against the commission regarding published reports following an inquiry which proves components of the report to have been false.

In its UPR report, the HRCM stated that the Supreme Court’s control of the judiciary was weakening judicial powers vested in lower courts.

“Supreme Court issued a circular ordering all state institutions not to communicate to individual courts regarding any information relating to the judiciary except through the Supreme Court. HRCM is facing difficulties in gathering information related to judiciary due to lack of cooperation,” the report stated.

Moreover, the report noted that “due to shortfalls in judicial system, functioning of the judiciary is often questionable on various grounds including independence, transparency, interference, influence, competency, consistency, and accessibility.”

Through a raft of regulations enacted in recent months, the Supreme Court has sought to consolidate control over administrative affairs of the judiciary.

In a comprehensive report on the Maldivian judiciary released in May 2013, United Nations Special Rapporteur for the Independence of Judges and Lawyers, Gabriela Knaul, wrote that centralising administrative decisions in the hands of the Supreme Court “has undoubtedly contributed to the strong impression that lower courts are excluded from the administration of justice and decision-making processes.”

The Maldives representative to the UNHRC subsequently accused the special rapporteur of undermining the sovereignty of the country.

Criticism of the Supreme Court’s role in the electoral process by United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay last October was meanwhile described as “ill-informed” and “irresponsible” by former President Dr Mohamed Waheed.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

EC announces official results of Feydhoo, Velidhoo by-elections

The Elections Commission (EC) announced the official results of Saturday’s by-elections in Noonu Velidhoo and Addu Feydhoo yesterday.

The by-elections took place on September 20 for vacant seats in the Velidhoo island council and Addu City Council.

In the Feydhoo constituency of Addu City, opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) candidate Ali Fahmy Ahmed defeated ruling Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) candidate Eana Naseer.

While Fahmy won 1,068 votes (55.14 percent), Eana received 869 votes (44.86 percent). With 3,782 eligible voters, the turnout was 1,965 (51.96 percent).

On the island of Velidhoo in Noonu atoll, government-aligned Maldives Development Alliance (MDA) candidate Ali Mujthaba beat MDP candidate Abdulla Ahmed Shafeeq with 647 votes (55.54 percent) to 518 votes (44.46 percent).

The victory secures a majority of the five-member Velidhoo island council for the PPM-MDA ruling coalition with three pro-government councillors and two MDP councillors.

The Velidhoo by-election was called after an MDP councillor resigned. Of 1,803 eligible voters, 1,189 people (65.95 percent) cast their ballots.

All six seats of the Addu City Council is meanwhile held by MDP councillors. The by-election was announced after former Feydhoo councillor, Abdulla Aswan, died of a heart attack on July 8.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Individuals named in MDN commissioned investigation file complaints

Individuals named as possible suspects in a Maldives Democracy Network (MDN) commissioned report into the disappearance of Minivan News journalist Ahmed Rilwan have filed complaints with the Maldives Police Services.

“[I]ndividuals whose personal information was mentioned in a report by MDN have raised their concerns and some have filed cases with the police alleging that their personal safety & security is at risk and they are receiving threats,” police media officials told Minivan News today.

Ismail Abdul Raheem, accused in the report of having followed Rilwan in February this year and alleged to have attacked blogger Hilath Rasheed in December 2011, filed a complaint with the police yesterday, reported local media.

The investigation was conducted on behalf of MDN by UK-based private security firm Athena Intelligence and Security. The report concluded that the disappearance is likely to have been an abduction, involving local gangs.

Members of the MDN as well as friends and colleagues of Rilwan working with the #Findmoyameehaa campaign have also received threats in the 24 hours since the release of the report.

Gang members identified in the report circulated photos of MDN’s Shahindha Ismail and Rilwan’s family’s lawyer Mushfiq Mohamed on Facebook and asked for more details stating “These two need to be disappeared.” Meanwhile, Twitter accounts of Rilwan’s family members and friends are being circulated online.

The report confirmed evidence of possible “hostile surveillance” at the terminal conducted by two known affiliates of the Malé based Kuda Henveiru gang, naming one as Ahmed Shiran Saeed.

Rilwan was last seen on the 1am ferry travelling to Hulhumalé on August 8. Neighbours reported seeing a man being forced into a car outside Rilwan’s apartment at around 2am.

Citing a series of gang attacks against perceived secularists in June, the report said gang activity in Rilwan’s abduction to be a “strong possibility”.

The report noted increased radical activity among members of three main gangs in Malé – Bosnia, Kuda Henveiru, and Buru – and claimed gang members have participated in attacks against individuals they deem “un-Islamic”.

The report called on the police to further investigate the activities of extremist groups, gangs, and politicians in Rilwan’s disappearance.

The Maldives Police Service has yet to suggest any possible theories or lines of inquiry being followed, last week noting that no “concrete evidence” could be found between Rilwan and the  reported abduction outside his apartment shortly after his last sighting.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

MP Nasheed to draft regulations for SEZ investment board

The investment board created under the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Act has tasked ruling Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) MP Mohamed ‘Kutti’ Nasheed with providing legal advice and drafting regulations.

Local media reported last week that the Kulhudhufushi South MP was appointed for the task with unanimous consent of the investment board members at its first meeting on Thursday (September 18).

Nasheed – who was also involved in drafting the legislation – reportedly agreed to draft the regulations free of charge.

Earlier this month, President Abdulla Yameen appointed Tourism Minister Ahmed Adeeb chairman of the board of investment.

The five-member board is authorised to grant approval for applications by developers to establish a zone, issue permits and investment licenses, and formulate rules and policies for the operation of SEZs.

Additionally, the board would monitor and review progress of investments, assess risk damage and liability, determine rates of fees and charges, and sign investment agreements between the government and developers.

The board would be assisted by a 17-member technical committee comprised of government officials as well as representatives from the private sector.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)