Row escalates over FIFA World Cup broadcasting rights

Cable TV service provider Medianet is suing the Maldives Broadcasting Commission (MBC) after the commission ordered the company to halt airing FIFA World Cup matches on any channels except state broadcaster Television Maldives and private broadcaster Villa TV (VTV).

Medianet has been airing matches on channels Sony Six, Sony Six HD and Sony Pix under rebroadcasting agreements. But the MBC said only TVM and VTV are authorized to broadcast World Cup matches.

In a letter to the MBC, Medianet’s legal representatives claimed the MBC’s order is unlawful and said a proper investigation must be conducted.

MBC had said Medianet’s agreement with Sony MSM had not been made in accordance with the Maldives rebroadcasting regulations.

MBC also stated that Medianet had charged an extra fee from customers in early June for viewing the matches on channels 100 and 100 plus against the rebroadcasting regulations.

Medianet has accused MBC of prejudice against the company and said it will sue the company and every individual member for damages caused by the commission’s order.

The company filed a case at the Civil Court on Wednesday seeking annulment of the Medianet’s order. According to local media, the judge presiding over the case estimated hearings will be completed by Sunday.

Medianet further stated that the MBC order released wrongful allegations to the public and said the commission’s sudden order issued to halt broadcasting of matches on channels other than TVM and VTV could be interpreted as an attempt to benefit certain parties.

MBC has also responded to the letter sent by Medianet’s legal representative, dismissing the claims that their orders are unlawful. They, in turn, have ordered Medianet to follow their orders without setting further conditions

MBC also stated that Medianet had charged an extra fee from customers for viewing the matches on channels 100 and 100 plus against the rebroadcasting regulations.

It also stated that the commission has received complaints that Medianet had refused to cooperate with repeated requests from TVM and VTV to broadcast their matches in high definition. It advised the company to provide such services to all channels without discrimination.

MBC has further announced on Wednesday that it is opening an opportunity for other interested parties to apply for cable TV provision licenses. Currently the only company providing the service is Medianet.

The commission claimed that it is taking this step to increase competition in the field, which will in turn lead to the provision of better services at more competitive prices to the public.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Islamic Ministry to provide financial aid to private Quran classes

The Ministry of Islamic Affairs has announced that it will be accepting applications for financial aid from privately run Quran classes from next Monday.

Deputy Minister of Islamic Affairs Ali Waheed told local media that only three classes had applied for the when the program was previously announced.

The ministry has decided to provide financial assistance to 25 Quran classes this year from the Zakath fund.

They will be providing a monthly allowance of MVR 2000 (US$ 130) for each business that qualifies for the program.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

MNCCI issues laptops on installment to Iskandhar School teachers

The Maldives National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MNCCI) has issued ten laptops to Iskandhar School teachers on installment basis.

Teachers are expected to pay for the laptops under a scheme where they pay an amount of MVR 100 (US$ 6.48) per month. No interest will be added to the price of the laptops, the MNCCI said.

At an event held to hand over the laptops on Thursday, MNCCI Vice President Ismail Asif said program is being conducted under the chamber’s corporate social responsibility program.

“We are looking into ways in which we can help various field. We are focusing on two fields this year. That is the health and education sectors,” Asif told local media.

In addition to issuing laptops, MNCCI has also supplied the school with equipment needed for their science laboratory.

The MNCCI said they will run similar programs for other schools in the future as much as their budget allowed.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Government declares an extra day as a public holiday on the occasion of Fitr Eid

President Abdulla Yameen has declared an extra day as a public holiday in relation to the occasion of Fitr Eid at the end of the month of Ramadan.

The President’s Office announced that if the Ministry of Islamic Affairs announces July 28 to be Fitr Eid, then July 31 will also be a holiday. If the Ministry instead announces July 29 to be Fitr Eid, then July 28 will be a holiday.

Government bodies will reopen on August 3 after Fitr Eid holidays.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Public finance committee to summon STELCO

Parliament’s public finance committee has on Thursday decided to summon State Electric Company Limited (STELCO) for questioning regarding its operations.

MPs decided to extend the duration of overdraft facility provided to STELCO by the Bank of Maldives in relation to a MVR 50 million loan and voiced concerns over the management of STELCO.

Maradhoo constituency MP Ibrahim Shareef said electricity is a basic necessity and expressed concern about how the company is run. Mandhoo constituency MP Ahmed ‘ADK’ Nashid alleged that STELCO is not run in a cost effective manner.

Eydhafushi Constituency MP Ahmed ‘Redwave’ Saleem echoed Shareef’s concern and suggested that STELCO be summoned for questioning.

Eight of the members in attendance voted in favour of summoning STELCO for questioning.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Government opens applications for National Awards

The President’s Office on Wednesday has opened applications and nominations for the annual National Awards.

Applications will be accepted until the end of August and forms are available on the President’s Office website.

The National Awards aim to recognize service in a variety of fields.

At a press conference held today, President of the National Awards Committee Abdul Rasheed Hussain stated that the categories in which awards will be given will be published in today’s edition of the government gazette.

He revealed that awards will be categorized into two Awards of Honour and Awards of Encouragement.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Tourist lost while snorkeling found dead

A French tourist, aged 33 years, who was reported missing during snorkeling on Wednesday has been discovered dead this morning.

The tourist was staying at Filitheyo Island Resort in Faafu Atoll.

Police revealed that the body was found 30 meters underwater at 9:00 am this morning.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Jabir jailed upon return to Maldives

Former opposition MP Abdulla Jabir has been jailed upon his return from Malaysia to the Maldives.

The former Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) MP was sentenced to  one year jail sentence in February for refusal to provide a urine sample during a police raid on Hondaidhoo Island in November 2012.

He was temporarily released on April 25 for a three month period to undergo medical tests in Malaysia.

According to the Maldives Correctional Services, Jabir is expected to submit medical records within seven days.

The Prosecutor General also charged Jabir over possession of cannabis but the Criminal Court acquitted by the MP citing insufficient evidence.

Charges of alcohol possession against Jabir are pending at the Criminal Court.

Likes(0)Dislikes(1)

PPM secures 43-seat parliament majority with signing of JP MP Muhamma

The ruling Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) has secured a 43-seat simple majority of parliament with the signing of Jumhooree Party (JP) MP Mohamed Abdulla ‘Muhamma’.

The MP for Ihavandhoo and former comedian-actor handed over his membership form to President Abdulla Yameen at a ceremony in Muleeage last night.

Speaking to press at the official presidential residence, Muhamma said he had pledged to work with the government when he contested the Ihavandhoo seat through the ruling coalition, adding that it was also the wish of his constituents.

The main reason for switching to the ruling party was “the progress of President Yameen’s economic policy,” he said.

Muhamma said his work in parliament would become easier as all MPs of Haa Alif atoll were now with the PPM.

“My constituents, too, want sewerage and harbour construction and development. This can be best achieved if I work with the government in the Majlis,” he said.

Backing the MPs’ stance, President Yameen told reporters that parliamentarians were joining the PPM to “play a big role together with the government” to ensure development of their constituencies.

“The second [reason] we feel is that citizens in the atolls as well as Malé believe that political activities have been sufficiently conducted in the Maldives during the past ten years. But it has not brought about either the economic development to the country it should have or prosperity for individuals and contentment or progress for businesses,” Yameen said.

The PPM took office with the economy as the “main agenda item” or the highest priority, he added.

“So I believe that members of the People’s Majlis are joining us – and citizens are waiting patiently and supporting the government’s efforts – to give us this opportunity for five years, because they are awaiting economic development and positive changes in the country,” Yameen said.

Two former JP MPs – Milandhoo MP Hassan Mufeed Abdul Qadir and Nolhivaram MP Hussain Areef – who switched allegiance to PPM had also said they were urged by their constituents to join the ruling party to speed up development of their constituencies.

Majority

Although the PPM won 33 seats in the March 22 parliamentary elections, four out of five independent MPs, three opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) MPs, and two JP MPs have since switched to the ruling party.

With its newest member, the PPM now has 43 MPs in the 85-member house, while coalition partner Maldives Development Alliance (MDA) has five MPs.

The opposition MDP has 23 MPs while the JP’s parliamentary group is reduced to 12 MPs. The religious conservative Adhaalath Party has one MP and Madaveli MP Muaz Mohamed Rasheed remains the sole independent.

The Progressive Coalition – comprised of the PPM, JP, and MDA – contested the parliamentary polls jointly with the 85 constituencies divided among the pro-government parties.

However, the PPM severed its coalition agreement with the JP after the coalition partner’s leader, Gasim Ibrahim, ran for the post of Majlis speaker despite the PPM fielding its senior MP Abdulla Maseeh Mohamed as the ruling coalition’s candidate.

In the wake of the coalition’s breakup, President Yameen sacked Transport Minister Ameen Ibrahim and other JP political appointees, whilst cabinet ministers on slots assigned for the JP – Environment Minister Thoriq Ibrahim and Economic Development Minister Mohamed Saeed – joined the PPM.

Home Minister Umar Naseer – appointed as part of the coalition agreement with the JP – is meanwhile facing criminal prosecution on charges of disobedience to order.

Following the loss of two JP MPs last month, Gasim claimed at a press conference that the MPs had told him that the government had threatened to cease development of islands in their constituencies.

The JP leader heavily criticised the pair for allegedly reneging on an agreement signed under oath “before God Almighty” to remain in the JP until the end of their five-year terms.

Gasim said he had heard that the pair were offered MVR10 million (US$648,508) each for the transfer.

The business tycoon also claimed to have provided MVR20 million (US$1.2 million) as financial assistance to the PPM’s parliamentary campaign.

Following his third-place finish with 23.37 percent of the vote in last year’s presidential election, Gasim initially announced that the JP would remain neutral. However, the JP’s council decided to endorse Yameen against MDP candidate, former President Mohamed Nasheed, three days before the second round of the polls on November 16.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)