British newspapers the Sun and the Daily Mail have identified the tourist killed at the Summer Island Village resort earlier this week as 34 year old Stuart Chance from Lincolnshire.
Mr Chance is reported to have travelled to the Maldives with his parents, who are regular visitors to the resort in Male’ Atoll. He is said to have drowned whilst snorkelling on Tuesday (August 20).
The Foreign Office is reportedly looking into Mr Chance’s death, though local police reportedly told Mr Chance’s family that his death was being treated as an accident.
Snorkelling incidents are the most common cause of tourist fatalities in the Maldives.
A Chinese tourist died in a suspected snorkelling accident yesterday at Alif Dhaal Atoll Vakafaru resort.
According to police media, the 26 year-old male was taken to the hospital at the nearby Dhagethi island, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Police said the accident occurred around 11:40am and cause of death is believed to have been drowning.
Local daily Haveeru however reported the resort’s Front Office Manager Abdulla Saeed as saying that the deceased was 25 years-old and was believed to have sustained a head injury after hitting his head on a rock underwater.
Saeed said the tourist was snorkelling in a shallow lagoon and exhibited no external injuries. The injured tourist was first treated at the resort’s clinic before being taken to Dhagethi after his condition deteriorated, the front office manager said.
In January, two Chinese nationals in different resorts were found dead within 48 hours in suspected snorkelling accidents.