Fire destroys kitchen in expatriate accommodation

Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) firefighters have contained a fire that started this morning in a building containing expatriate workers, Mahchangolhi Yellow in Male.

In a statement issued today the MNDF said that the incident was reported at 10:08 am this morning and the fire was controlled in around half an hour.

The MNDF said the incident occurred due to a gas leak while the expats were cooking inside the house.

Although no one was injured in the incident, the MNDF said all equipment inside the kitchen and a room next to the kitchen was damaged beyond repair.

The MNDF said police and the MNDF fire and rescue team were further investigating the case. accommodation