The Maldives Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) decided to cease operating the Club Faru resort as of May 15 this year, according to local media.
In January, the Tourism Ministry took control of the resort from the site’s previous owners following the expiry of their lease agreement. The ministry handed control of the resort to the government-owned MTDC until phase two of the Hulhumale’ reclamation project was completed.
MTDC Managing Director Mohamed Matheen told local media that the Tourism Ministry had been notified to take over resort’s operations.
“There are no tourists on the island right now. We stopped the operation of the island, and have been temporarily taking care of the island until a decision is made,” Matheen said.
The MTDC previously requested an extension from the Tourism Ministry to the time period during which the company could operate the resort.
“We wanted to operate the island until the reclamation of Hulhumale’ begins. Even though we let tourists come to the resort, our plan was to empty and hand over the island by giving one month’s notice,” said Matheen.
“But we still don’t know when the reclamation will begin. But we have to keep some staff there to monitor the island until the government takes over,” he added.
Currently, the number of staff on Club Faru has been reduced to “about twenty”, according to Matheen.
Discussions with two foreign companies regarding phase two of the Hulhumale’ reclamation project – which includes Club Faru resort – are ongoing, according to the Housing Development Corporation (HDC). The HDC is in charge of the Hulhumale’ development.