Over 60 people working on construction of a resort on Randheli island have been rushed to hospital today after suffering from severe food poisoning.
According to an official from Noonu Atoll Regional Hospital on Manadhoo island, the resort workers currently receiving treatment at the hospital today mostly included expatriate workers from Bangladesh and India. A few Maldivians were also said to be admitted, according to the hospital source.
The official said that they started receiving the sick resort workers with food poisoning at around 2pm. A few workers were taken to health centres on nearby islands as the hospital was overwhelmed by the sudden surge of patients.
Extra beds and blankets were provided in order to hospitalise the sick resort workers after the 18-bed site found itself at maximum capacity, the hospital source added.
“All of them were diagnosed with food poisoning. They were vomiting, having severe headache and stomach pain and some were suffering loose motions as well,” the official explained.
It is unknown how the resort workers came down with food poisoning. The resort, according to local media reports, is being developed for Louis Vuitton Moet et Chandon Hennessey (LVMH). The resort developer was not responding to calls from Minivan News at the time of press.
The hospital official said; “some patients are saying they got sick after eating a fish, possibly rotten.”
He added that none of the resort workers are now in serious condition, but were being kept under observation.
In a statement, the Maldives Police Service said it had assisted with transporting the affected workers to hospital for treatment.