The mother of missing Minivan News journalist Ahmed Rilwan has responded to a private investigation into her son’s disappearance by calling upon police to pursue all lines of inquiry.
“Since the report publicized on September 22, 2014 is independent without the family or any others’ involvement, I call on the Maldives Police Services to investigate the issues highlighted on the report without delay,” said Aminath Easa on behalf of her family.
“I urge the police to ascertain if the individuals named in the report are involved in Rilwan’s disappearance and clear their names. If they are not involved, I urge the police to find those responsible and take immediate action,” read a statement released by the family today.
The report – commissioned by the Maldivian Democracy Network (MDN) – speculated on multiple theories behind the disappearance 47 days ago, concluding a “gang related” abduction to be a “strong possibility”.
Evidence of possible “hostile surveillance” by two known affiliates of Malé based Kuda Henveiru gang was noted in the report, compiled by UK-based private security firm Athena Intelligence and Security.
Police have since condemned the report as “irresponsible” and “politically motivated”, suggesting that the safety and security of individuals named in the report has been compromised .
Police media officials has reported a number of complaints from those implicated in the report since its release, while the MDN’s Shahindha Ismail and the lawyer Mushfique Mohamed have also been subject to online intimidation.
Shahindha defended the report earlier today, noting that the information contained was already in the public domain.
“We have simply acknowledged the elephant in the room. It is questionable now whether the police are too afraid to address it themselves,” said Shahindha.
Rilwan’s mother today expressed gratitude for all organisation and members of the public who have offered assistance in helping find Rilwan.
Easa – aged 67 – has been at the forefront of efforts to publicise the disappearance of her 28-year-old son, leading a march around the capital last Friday (September 19) aimed at publicising a number of questions left outstanding by the police’s investigation
Similar questions were previously raised earlier this month in a petition to the People’s Majlis signed by around 5000 people. The family has yet to receive a response from the Majlis in relation to the petition.