The strike at Shangri-La Villingili Resort and Spa has ended, according to Vice President of the Tourism Employment Association Maldives (TEAM), Mauroof Zakir.
157 Staffs at the Shangri-La Villingili Resort went on strike last week after four workers were dismissed for reportedly playing on a PlayStation in a vacant villa on the last Sunday. It continued throughout the week until Shangri-La management dismissed the 10 leaders of the strike and four villa host, and invited the remaining staff back to work.
Zakir claimed the strike ended when Shangri-La management sent a letter to the parents of the strikers on Feydhoo.
”They sent a letter signed by the general manager of the resort requesting that the strikers resign or the matter would be handled to the police,” Zakir said.
”Their wives, kids and parents were disappointed with the letter and pressured the staff to stop the strike and go work.”
Zakir said the strikers did not achieve all they had set out to achieve, but “it was a success that only 14 staffs were dismissed. At first they dismissed 65 staffs on the island.”
He said that strikers took a vote on Wednesday to decide if they were going to continue or end the strike.
”Ninety per cent of them voted to continue the strike,” Zakir claimed.
He said TEAM would “still work until we achieve our demands, with the help of international organisations.”
”We will take the case to the tribunal also,” he said. ”We will do as much we can.”
Shangri-La’s Communication Director Leslie Garcia denied management sent a letter to the strike leaders.
”They were dismissed in an agreement proposed by the resort management,” she said. ”They agreed to it.”