Two arrested in connection with the stabbing of Bangladeshi man

Police have arrested two Maldivian men who were allegedly involved in the stabbing of a Bangladeshi man last night at about 12:30am, while he was near Personal Computers, a computer shop in the Maafanu ward of Male’.

The names and identity of the pair arrested were not disclosed to the media but police said one man was 18 and the other was 19 years-old.

Police said they have confiscated the sharp weapon the assailants used near Maafannu Vakkaru house, with blood on it.

According to police the Bangladeshi man was stabbed in the neck from behind, and he was taken to Indira Gandi Memorial Hospital (IGMH) for treatment.

A statement police issued today said that the man’s condition was improving.

Police Sub-Inspector Hassan Haneef today told Minivan News that police have information that four persons were involved in the attack on the Bangladeshi man.

‘’We are searching for the other two involved,’’ Haneef said. ‘’We are not very clear on the motive behind the attack.’’

The stabbing is the latest in a wave of similar incidents across Male’, some of which have proven fatal.

Early last week, prominent Maldivian blogger and journalist Ismail ‘Hilath’ Rasheed was left in a critical condition after his throat was slashed outside his house in Male’. A Bangladeshi man was also stabbed the same evening and suffered minor injuries.

On May 30, the dead body of 16 year-old Mohamed Arham was discovered by police inside the park behind Kulliyathul Dhirasathul Islamiyya.

On May 31, 65 year-old Hassan Abubakur was found murdered inside his own house on the island of Maafaru in Noonu Atoll.

Police have arrested suspects for every stabbing incident with the exception of the attack on Hilath.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) have condemned the attack on the journalist, describing it as having  “all the hallmarks of a targeted murder attempt.”

“Rasheed has made many enemies through his outspoken blogging. The authorities in charge of the investigation should not rule out the possibility that this was linked to his journalistic activity. He is a well-known journalist who has repeatedly been censored, arrested and threatened,” RSF said in a statement.
“The police must, as a matter of urgency, put a stop to the harassment of Rasheed and take the issue of his safety seriously. Any lack of response on their part will constitute a criminal failure to assist a person in danger.”