Nasheed’s residence in Addu attacked during early hours

The home in which former President Mohamed Nasheed is staying during his trip to Addu was last night pelted with stones, the party has claimed.

Nasheed’s residence was attacked at around 1am on Monday morning, with the party telling local media that the incident has been reported to police.

With the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) president visiting the southern atolls on party business, a rally held in Feydhoo on Friday was attacked by youths wielding wooden planks and rocks before the party’s local headquarters were torched.

All seven suspects arrested in connection with the attack in Feydhoo have since been released, prompting condemnation from the MDP. Nasheed himself has today expressed thanks to the local police, noting the difficult circumstances in which they are working.

Nasheed – recently elected as MDP party president – lodged a complaint with Metropolitan Police Service in the United Kingdom earlier this month following a death threat sent to his phone while attending the Conservative Party conference.

The MDP’s offices in Malé were also attacked on three successive nights last month, with a number of attacks on the homes of its MPs accompanied by continued SMS threats.

Speaking in Fuvahmulah during the trip to the southern atolls, Nasheed suggested that senior politicians were behind the attacks and that the government was failing to deal with escalating gang violence.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

MDP MP Eva Abdulla raises concern over safety of MPs, journalist with IPU human rights committee

Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) MP Eva Abdulla met the Inter-Parliamentary Union’s (IPU) human rights committee yesterday to raise concerns over the personal safety of MPs and journalists in the Maldives.

In a press release today, the main opposition party explained that the MP for Galolhu North met members of the committee during the IPU assembly in Geneva, Switzerland and highlighted security threats to opposition politicians, the media, and the community at large.

“[Eva] spoke about the lack of thorough investigations of these cases, perpetrators not facing trial, the failure of law enforcement in the face of atrocities committed out in the open, the failure of the People’s Majlis to look into the cases, and the creation of a culture of intimidation in the Maldives,” the press release stated.

“Eva also noted at the human rights committee the lack of any action taken so far regarding police brutality against MDP MPs on February 7 and 8, 2012 and later despite conclusive evidence.”

A hearing scheduled at the Criminal Court yesterday concerning the alleged assault of MDP Mariya Ahmed Didi on February 8 by a police officer was cancelled after the defendant failed to appear at court.

Referring to the cancellation of the hearing, Eva noted that “selective prosecution” of MDP MPs were ongoing at the Criminal Court.

A hearing of former MDP MP Hamid Abdul Ghafoor’s trial took place yesterday at the court, she noted.

Eva also accused the government and parliament of failing to investigate numerous death threats sent to MPs and failing to provide security.

The IPU has previously said that the government’s reaction to the death threats would be “a test of the country’s democratic credentials.”

On the disappearance of Minivan News journalist Ahmed Rilwan, Eva told members of the committee that an independent investigation uncovered evidence suggesting that Rilwan was abducted.

Eva criticised the police’s failure to properly investigate the disappearance and contended that the case was not a high priority for the government.

She noted that parliamentary oversight committees have refused to look into the case.

She noted the arson attack against private broadcaster Raajje TV, the near-fatal stabbing of Raajje TV journalist Ibrahim Waheed ‘Asward’, the attack on Minivan News last month where a machete was buried in the building’s door, and death threats sent to journalists via text message from unlisted numbers.

Despite clear evidence in some cases, Eva noted that the government has not taken any action against the perpetrators to date.

While police arrested a 32-year-old suspect on charges of stealing Minivan News’ security camera – who was clearly identifiable on the CCTV footage – the Criminal Court released the suspect with conditions the following day.

MDP MP Imthiyaz Fahmy told Minivan News last month that death threats have become too commonplace to publicise each incident.

Following a rally in September, MDP MP Eva Abdulla received a text message threatening a suicide attack at the next MDP gathering. The message also threatened to “kill off” MDP members and vowed to “fight to the last drop of blood.”

Eva revealed on social media that she had received a text threatening to kill the children of MDP members.

“Don’t bring out your children on the streets these days. Stabbing season is about to begin. [We] will kill you,” the message read.

Eva noted that the same message was sent to many MDP members while the “govt looks on”.

Several journalist were also sent a text message warning them not to cover “the incidents happening in Malé now”, which included the torching of the MDP’s office on September 26.

“This is a war between the laadheenee [secular or irreligious] MDP mob and religious people. We advise the media not to come in the middle of this. We won’t hesitate to kill you,” read the threat.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

MMPRC to further boost Chinese visitors with tourism roadshow

The Maldives Marketing and PR Corporation (MMPRC) has today launched a three-city tour of China in an effort to further boost the number of Chinese tourists.

Taking in Chongqing, Chengdu, and Guangzhou over the next five days, twelve industry groups will also take part in the roadshow

“This road show is the perfect platform to establish a more extensive contact with the China travel trade,” read an MMPRC press release today.

“It is also an opportunity for the Chinese market to be educated on Maldives, its serene beauty and the delicate surroundings.”

After becoming the market leader in terms of visitors to the Maldives in 2011, Chinese visitors now represent nearly one third of all arrivals, totalling 331,000 in 2013.

“Maldives is now positioned to seize the market opportunity created by China’s increasing demand for luxury outbound travel. Hence, this is a great opportunity to promote the destination and to continue to strengthen the image of Maldives in the Chinese Market,” said the MMPRC.

The rapid growth in tourist arrivals has preceded a strengthening of diplomatic relations, with Xi Jinpeng becoming the first Chinese head of state to visit the Maldives last month.

Among a number of MoUs signed during the visit was an agreement to introduce mechanisms to deal with the issue of safety and security of Chinese tourists in the Maldives.

While a Chinese national died last month following a motorcycle accident in the capital Malé, the most common cause of injuries and fatalities among Chinese visitors are related to water sports.

Responding to anecdotal reports of Chinese visitors’ eating habits while visiting the Maldives, Jinpeng was said to have called upon his countrymen to “eat less instant noodles and more local seafood”.

The Maldives’ President Abdulla Yameen expressed his hope that Chinese arrivals would increase three-fold over the next four years.

“Hosting this road show will result in continuous boost in arrivals from China in the years to come,” said the MMPRC today.

The MMPRC conducted a similar event in China in 2012, while a similar event was carried out by the MMPRC in Australia last May in an attempt to break
into the relatively untouched Australian market.

Likes(1)Dislikes(1)

16-year-old girl now missing for 49 days

Police have yet to reveal any information on the missing 16-year-old girl, Fathimath Malha, who was reported missing on August 25.

Local media has reported the case as being a ‘runaway’, though police media have declined from explaining on what basis the case is being investigated.

“I can only confirm that the matter is being presently investigated. We will not be revealing any further details to media,” an official told Minivan News.

A description of the missing girl on the police website states that she is dark eyed, curly haired, slim, and tall.

Police have sought public assistance on the case, appealing to citizens to contact them on 3322111 or their Family and Child Protection Department on 9790163 if anyone possesses any information regarding the case.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Majlis asked to approve new ambassador to India and PIC members

President Abdulla Yameen has chosen to appoint former Commissioner General of Customs Ahmed Mohamed as the Maldivian ambassador to India.

Ahmed Mohamed’s name is scheduled to be sent to the parliament which will conduct background checks on the candidate before making a decision. The Majlis returned from recess today.

It is believed that Ahmed Mohamed was dismissed from his position at customs after a disagreement with the government over the recruitment policies.

Local media has reported that his removal from the post followed his refusal to bow to government pressure to bypass regulations in the appointment of customs officials.

The current ambassador to India is Mohamed Naseer who was formerly the foreign secretary at Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

President Yameen’s nominees for the two vacant seats on the Police Integrity Commission (PIC) were also been sent to parliamentary committees for evaluation at today’s sitting of the Majlis.

The nominees for the PIC – Saeed Moosa, of special registry number 5381, and Fathimath Minhath Izzath, of Galolhu Gofi – are to be evaluated by the independent institutions oversight committee.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Addu Council to prioritise dealing with waste management issue in 2015

Addu City Council has announced that they will be prioritising a waste management programme when drafting the budget for 2015.

The council stated that there is an even higher need for this at present due to the development of guest house tourism in the city.

Addu City Mayor Abdulla Sodiq also reflected on the importance of increasing public awareness on waste management, local media reports.

The council stated that the waste management system they intend to introduce will facilitate the conversion of recycling and the production of fertilisers through the burning of waste.

The council had previously discussed conducting a waste management program in Addu with the assistance of the Ministry of Environment.

Likes(3)Dislikes(0)

Media council re-opens membership application

The Maldives Media Council (MMC) has reopened the application process for new members for the third time.

In a statement released today, the home ministry said that the application would be open for applicants who want to become a member of the committee until October 22.

The MMC consists of eight members from the media and seven members from the general public who are not affiliated with the media.

Complications with the first attempted application process caused the elections to be postponed, while the second attempt was delayed after issues were raised regarding inactive media outlets still being eligible to vote.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

MIRA collects MVR835.7 million in September

The Maldives Inland Revenue Authority (MIRA) collected MVR835.7 million (US$54 million) in taxes during September, 4.3 percent higher than the forecast income for the month.

MIRA explained in a press statement yesterday that the tax revenue was 24.4 percent higher than the same period in 2013.

While proceeds from tourism land rent accounted for MVR315.7 million (US$20 million), MIRA revealed that MVR302.7 million (US$19.6 million) was collected as GST (Goods and Services Tax).

As of the end of September, MIRA has collected a total of MVR9.01 billion (US$584 million), which represents a 26.3 percent increase from last year. A total of MVR8.9 billion (US$577 million) was collected by the end of 2013.

Despite record levels of government income, however, the Ministry of Finance and Treasury reduced recurrent expenditure by 20 percent this month in an effort to curb a growing budget deficit.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Civil Court orders DRP to pay over MVR1.1 million to MTCC

The Civil Court has on Sunday ordered the Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) to pay MVR1,111,438.96 (USD72,406.45) to Maldives Transport and Contract Company Plc (MTCC).

The party was taken to court by the MTCC after its failure to pay this amount for services rendered to the party during the 2008 presidential elections, in which the party’s then-leader Maumoon Abdul Gayoom lost to the Maldivian Democratic Party’s Mohamed Nasheed.

The Civil Court verdict in the case orders the party to split the payment and complete payments within a period of six months.

Earlier in April, the Civil Court ordered the party to pay back a debt of over MVR700,000 (USD45,602.61) to HUB Company. The DRP was later fined by the court for ts  failure to complete payment as per court orders.

Island Aviation Services are also currently suing the party seeking repayment of debts. After backing unsuccessful candidates during the 2013 presidential election, the DRP failed to win any seats in the 2014 Majlis elections.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)