When thirst became a crisis in Maldives: Business Standard

“On December 5, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) received a phone call from the Union external affairs ministry, routed through the railway ministry,” recalls Jyoti Mukul for India’s Business Standard.

“It was not a usual communication but a direction to pull out something as basic as drinking water to meet a diplomatic call.

A day earlier, the Maldivian capital of Male had experienced a crisis. Its only desalination plant, which supplies drinking water to citizens after treating sea water, had caught fire. It, indeed, was a disaster for the island nation; India offered help and so did China and Sri Lanka.

Since the sea route would take at least four days, the quickest relief was to air-lift drinking water from India and take it to Male.

The need to rope in IRCTC, Indian Railways’ government-owned catering and tourism company, was felt.”

Read more

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Government and opposition send messages to mark Sri Lankan independence

Both the government and opposition have extended felicitations to the people of Sri Lanka on the occasion of the country’s 67th Independence Day.

President Abulla Yameen sent messages to the newly elected President Maithripala Sirisena, and his Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, extending good wishes from the people of the Maldives.

Meanwhile, the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party released a statement noting that Maldivians have always followed development in Sri Lanka, saying that “progresses in foreign and political affairs [in Maldives] have always reflected developments in Sri Lanka.”

“The Maldivian Democratic Party joins our cousins in Sri Lanka in reflection that this Independence Day holds much significance, as it reflects a history of great sacrifices made by many Sri Lankans in the attainment of its freedom,” said party Spokesman Hamid Abdul Ghafoor.

President Sirisena inflicted a surprising defeat on the ten-year incumbent Mahinda Rajapaksa in last month’s presidential polls.

Sri Lanka gained independence from British rule on February 4, 1948. The Maldives will itself celebrate 50 years since it gained total independence from the British Empire on July 26 this year.

Likes(2)Dislikes(0)

MNCCI says opposition street rallies upsetting trade

The Maldives National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MNCCI) has claimed that street demonstrations are damaging local businesses, calling on the government to stop them.

In a statement release today (January 4), the chamber stated that political activity that would destabilise the Maldives is being revived again, after a brief period of normalcy following the 2013 presidential elections.

“Due to recent political rallies and activities held by some parties by blocking roads, local businesses are not only facing difficulties but are damaged,” stated the trade promotion organisation.

The chamber also “regrettably noted that some major business owners are behind these activities”.

The opposition Maldivian Democratic Party and Jumhooree Party held a joint rally in Malé at the junction of Chaandanee and Fareedi Magu last night as part of a series of political activities planned to defend the Constitution against what they claim are persistent breaches by the government.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Shanghai Airlines starts direct flights to INIA

Shanghai Airlines, a subsidiary of China Eastern Airlines, has started direct flights from Shanghai to Ibrahim Nasir International Airport.

According to a statement released by Maldives Airports Company the B767 aircraft which has capacity for 200 passengers is scheduled to fly three times weekly until the end of the winter season.

With the Chinese tourist market the fastest growing in the world, Chinese travellers now make up 30 percent of all visitors to the Maldives.

MACL reported that the Shangahi Airlines had in previous years flown to the Maldives for this period, but only on a schedule of two flights per week.

While British Airways has decided to suspend summer flights to the Maldives, German national carrier Lufthansa is to start scheduled flights to the country from December 2015.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Supreme Court to oversee senior administrative appointments

The Supreme Court has published regulations mandating that senior administrative staff of the judiciary be appointed only after direct consultation with the court’s bench.

According to the regulation posted on the court’s website yesterday (January 3), individuals chosen to fill senior administrative positions in the judiciary will be interviewed for the job by a panel appointed by the Supreme Court bench.

Individuals seeking senior administrative jobs must be able to prove their working experience, knowledge of the laws regarding state finances, leadership and managerial skills, fluency in Dhivehi and other foreign languages – including English or Arabic, and their capacity to represent Maldives in international forums and seminars.

The court last year introduced regulations making it mandatory for judges and judicial employees to seek permission to attend overseas events, prompting suggestions that the Supreme Court is centralising judicial administration.

Similar claims made by the Human Rights Commission of Maldives have resulted in an ongoing ‘suo moto’ case in the Supreme Court in which the commission is charged with undermining the Constitution and the country’s sovereignty.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Indian High Commission holds cancer screening camps

The Indian High Commission to the Maldives will be hold free cancer screenings at ADK Hospital on February 4 and 5, and in Ghaafu Dhaalu Thinadhoo on February 6, as part of its health and wellness month.

In addition to the screenings, the high commission is organising a cancer awareness walk in Malé on February 4 at 4pm, in partnership with Basavatarakm Indo American Cancer Hospital (BIACH) in Hyderabad, ADK hospital, and the Cancer Society of Maldives.

The walk will be followed by yoga instruction at the artificial beach, while similar yoga workshops are to be organised in Himmafushi, Villingili, and Bandos during the month.

Last month the high commission held a number of Bollywood themed events, including a dance show, quiz, and a film festival as part of year-long celebrations of diplomatic relations with the Maldives.

“In celebration of the 50th anniversary of relations and Maldivian Independence, every month will include thematic activities as part of a year-long celebration,” said Indian High Commissioner to the Maldives Rajeev Shahare.

Other events for the wellness month include a blood donation camp held on February 27. The high commission requests everyone to register in advance for these camps by calling 763 8246.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

New CMDA CEO appointed by President

President Abdulla Yameen has appointed Ahmed Naseer of Musthareege, Kaafu Atoll Maafushi to the post of CEO of the Capital Market Development Authority (CMDA).

According to a tweet from the presidential Spokesman Ibrahim Muaz, Naseer was was appointed to the post at the level of deputy minister. He previously served as a state minister at the Ministry of Finance and Treasury during President Mohamed Nasheed’s administration.

The position of CEO of CMDA was left vacant after the resignation of Fathimath Shafeeqa’s resignation from the post last month.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

Maldivians fighting wars abroad a concern, says Police Commissioner

Commissioner of Police Hussain Waheed says that it is a cause of concern that Maldivians nationals are leaving the country to fight in wars abroad.

It is necessary for all police officers to work together in order stop Maldivians joining wars abroad, he told fellow officers at a police function held yesterday (February 2).

If police receive any information regarding such a case, he added, it should be investigated by the intelligence department and adequate preventative measures should be taken immediately.

The commissioner’s remarks closely follow reports that a former mosque employee at Malé’s Indhira Gandhi Memorial Hospital and his wife had travelled to Syria for Jihad, entering ISIS-held territory after travelling to Turkey via Dubai.

The exact number of Maldivians abroad for Jihad remains unclear, with Haveeru reporting a group of six having departed last week, as well as a dozen more said to have gone to Syria at the start of January.

Waheed has previously estimated that around 50 Maldivians are working with foreign rebel groups, dwarfing figures suggested by Home Minister Umar Naseer in December.

Commissioner Waheed has said that police are working with the Islamic ministry and relevant government departments to prevent radicalisation, though he said the variety of people travelling for jihad made it hard to target the most vulnerable groups.

Despite assurances that the activities of radicals are being monitored, the group said to have left in early January included a number of individuals known to police.

The group included Azlif Rauf – a suspect in the murder of MP Dr Afrasheem Ali, and an individual arrested over the disappearance of Minivan News journalist Ahmed Rilwan. A private investigation into Rilwan’s case implicated radicalised gangs in what is believed to have been the 29-years-old’s abduction.

Last month, four would-be jihadis were apprehended in Malaysia, with media reporting that they were brought back to the Maldives and released after the authorities seized their passports. A similar group were returned from Sri Lanka in November.

In November, a jihadist group called Bilad Al Sham Media (BASM) – which describes itself as ‘Maldivians in Syria’ – revealed that a fifth Maldivian had died in Syria.

Defending the government’s stance on extremism and ISIS, Islamic minister Dr Mohamed Shaheem Ali Saeed told the Majlis late last year that “Maldives will not allow Maldivians to go and fight in foreign wars”.

“We do not support their [ISIS] extremist policies. We have repeatedly appealed to our beloved youth to refrain from falling prey to these ideologies,” he said.



Related to this story

Hospital worker and wife latest to travel for Jihad

Over 50 Maldivian militants fighting in foreign wars, reveals Commissioner of Police

Maldives a “land of sin”, says jihadist after departing with family for ISIS territory

Islamic Minister advises Maldivians against participating in foreign wars

Likes(2)Dislikes(0)

Indian government shelves plans for SAARC Development Bank

India’s ruling coalition – the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) – has halted plans for establishing a SAARC Development Bank, Indian media reports.

Although the previous government’s proposal to establish the bank was endorsed by the 18th SAARC Summit in November, an Indian external affairs official was quoted as saying that feasibility studies had suggested it was an inappropriate time to establish the bank.

“We studied the contributions that can be made by other multilateral institutions, funding that can be sourced through external commercial borrowing route, but the shortfall after that is still huge. Ultimately, that shortfall has to be borne by India. So we decided to explore alternatives available,” said the unnamed official.

Meanwhile Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is reported to have submitted an “alternative proposal”, which his government is now working on. Modi has been a strong advocate of greater regional integration since assuming office, being seen as the driving force behind the resumption of the SAARC summit after a three-year hiatus.

The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation comprises of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)