The government has published in the government gazette a list of winners of flats in Male’ and Hulhumale’ under category B of the first phase of the Veshi Fahi Male’ housing programme.
Following evaluation of 7,000 application forms, 471 applicants were chosen under category B, reports Haveeru.
According to the Veshi Fahi Male’ office, the list would be finalised after processing complaints. The deadline for submitting complaints is November 29, the office said.
On Sunday, President Dr Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik attended a ceremony to mark the completion of 1,000 housing units in Hulhumale’ constructed with a preferential loan from China.
President Waheed expressed gratitude to the Chinese government and the China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC).
The Veshi Fahi Male’ de-congestion programme was a flagship project of the formerly ruling Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) under its manifesto pledge to provide affordable housing.
The project was launched on November 10, 2010 to ease congestion in the capital and develop the Greater Male’ Region, composed of Hulhumale’, Vili-Male’, Thilafushi industrial island and Gulhifalhu.
Approximately 125,000 people are believed to reside in about 16,000 households in Male’; the total number of households in the Maldives is estimated to be 46,000.
President Mohamed Nasheed presented guarantees of land acquisition to 94 recipients under the first phase of the government’s flagship “Veshi Fahi” Male’ (de-congestion) programme.
The first ten recipients under Category A of the programme were awarded land guarantees on July 26 at a ceremony to open the Veshi Fahi Male’ office.
In his remarks at last night’s ceremony at the President’s Office, President Nasheed said that he believed it was within the government’s means to construct a bridge between Male’ and Hulhumale’ as a ferry system was insufficient in itself.
The construction of 2,500 flats in Gulhifalhu is meanwhile expected to begin next month under the second phase of the Gulhifalhu Development Project, Nasheed continued.
President Nasheed explained that more plots could not be awarded in Hulhumale’ as the remaining space was intended for communal use and government or public buildings.
Of the government’s pledged 10,000 flats, said Nasheed, construction agreements had been signed for 8,000 flats or housing units.
Nasheed claimed that the construction industry was booming and that foreign investment had “increased 1000 percent” compared to the previous years.
Male’ City Councillor “Sarangu” Adam Manik, director of the Veshi Fahi Male’ programme, meanwhile said that thousands of applications by residents of Male’ under different categories were currently being processed.